Audience segmentation groups your potential customers into subgroups based on similar traits such as behavior, psychographics, demographics, and customer type. The internet has provided businesses with audience segmentation tools that are accessible, trusted, and often free. Using these tools, you can provide more personalized messaging relevant to the right audiences.
Choosing the best audience segmentation tools for your business depends on the criteria you set. Some companies choose that will help organize data and grow along with the business. Others want an audience segmentation tool that will be easy to use and quick to set up. If you are looking for tools to help you through this marketing strategy, you should research and compare the services available. Our top three selections include.
- Google Analytics (Best Overall)
This article gives you the 14 best tools to help you segment your audience and connect you to the right kinds of people. Let’s start!
Experian is a powerful tool for helping you and your team better understand your audience segments. It aids in the creation of your segments and their management over time. It offers a variety of features that can assist you in getting more out of your customer segmentation strategy. So, if you’re having trouble keeping an overall picture of your whole process, this tool can be a lifesaver.
You can use Experian’s customer segmentation tool to create, view, and manage your segments in a way tailored to your company’s needs. Don’t forget to look for trends in your competitors’ data. Lifestyle segmentation, for example, may assist you in figuring out your consumers’ habits and preferences so that you can include those details in your profitable-customer contact portfolio.
- Powerful and comprehensive
- It offers a variety of features
- Easily tailored to your company’s needs
- Can be expensive
- Some features may be unnecessary for your business
2. Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a widely used tool for businesses of all sizes, as it is installed on websites by almost every web developer and digital marketing agency before launch. You’ll also be able to monitor your eCommerce funnel and create customer segments if your site was built with an eCommerce platform such as Shopify.
This tool is beloved by web developers and online marketers for its user-friendly interface and wealth of features. It also integrates with Google Ads, so you can see which campaigns are driving the most traffic to your website. I
Google Analytics is a great tool, but it’s not always straightforward to start. While it’s popular and there are several tutorials and user assistance available, installing the more “complex” features like valuable client segmentation tools might be challenging.
Customer segments are also based on data from Google Analytics, which exclusively uses website traffic statistics and demographic segmentation based on hard evidence such as age, gender, and household income.
On the one hand, Google Analytics has many limitations compared with other analytics platforms. It does not utilize data from important client sources such as eCommerce transactions or email marketing to form groups of customers based on actions or affinities.
- Use variables to segment by web and mobile technologies.
- Assign activities to the website and form groups based on completed events.
- Customers can be divided into demographic categories.
- It’s completely free.
- Although GA is ideal for website traffic data analysis, it isn’t helpful for in-app events analytics.
Mailchimp offers a campaign segmentation tool for companies interested in dividing their email marketing campaigns. According to Mailchimp, its software increases open rates by 23% and click-through rates by 49%.
Using Mailchimp’s segmentation tool, you may start performing each of the following tasks right away:
- Behavior-based targeting
- Create customer segments based on your unique insights.
- Organize your email lists into categories based on similar characteristics.
- Use Mailchimp’s built-in marketing analytics and predictions to your advantage.
Another fantastic thing about this tool is that it makes it simple to scale your audience segments as your business grows. Mailchimp allows you to get started modestly and grow with the experience. Then, rather than starting from scratch, you may simply enhance your existing customer groupings instead of creating new ones.
- “Free Forever” is an excellent plan with no limits and is quite generous (but functionally restricted).
- Creating campaigns is a snap with the user-friendly editor.
- There are several integrations to choose from, so everyone can find something they like.
- Paid plans are more expensive (particularly if you have an extensive email list and need advanced features)
- Automation in marketing is less robust and user-friendly than other tools, such as Active Campaign.
HubSpot is a CRM program with strong customer segmentation capabilities. You may use static and active contact lists and contact scoring to create lists that segment your contacts and consumers.
The program also offers event-based segmentation as a choice. For example, suppose your organization is organizing a day-long training in Boston. In that case, you might use event-based segmentation to identify and notify your consumers in the region who have expressed an interest in the information that your team will present at the workshop.
After you’ve completed the workshop, you may use the information gathered from those who attended to segment your customers for future gatherings.
HubSpot’s (free) CRM, CMS, Marketing Hub, Sales Hub, and Service Hub all automatically include these consumer segmentation tools.
- Comprehensive database
- Intuitive Tools
- Ease of use and deployment
- Limited features and data losses
- in the free version
- Complex pricing
- The need for additional software to supplement certain features
Gathering data and conducting analytics may improve your company’s decision-making by gaining better insight into customer activities. It also has segmentation capabilities for your products. You may use it to fine-tune the things you offer and the segments you market.
You may track leads, nurture them and generate sales from your website or mobile app. Qualtrics gives you the following features:
- Organize research around specialized groups of users that you have created.
- Use the data from previous segmentation efforts to analyze your performance.
- Learn how to engage with various audiences in the most effective ways possible.
- To assist you in discovering new possibilities, utilize machine learning and AI.
Put it all together, and you have a customer segmentation tool that stands out. Because they may assist you in determining the ideal way to segment your audience, Qualtrics’ AI and machine learning capability might be pretty beneficial.
- Excellent survey creation and data gathering tools
- Ease of use
- Functional user-interface
- Limited app capabilities
- Data analysis options are not robust
6. Sprout Social
Sprout is a social media management tool that provides detailed information about your audience. It integrates with over 20 social networks, including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Sprout’s reporting feature gives you the ability to segment your consumers by:
- The types of content they engage with most frequently
- The time of day they’re most active
- The channels they prefer
This valuable information helps you understand how best to reach your audience on social media. Additionally, it allows you to fine-tune your content strategy and social media campaigns for maximum impact.
- Easy to use interface with smart inbox feature
- Robust reporting capabilities
- In-depth insights into your audience
- Ability to segment your followers
- More expensive than some other social media management tools
- Limited integrations outside of social media networks
Segment gathers your consumer data in one place and transmits it anywhere. It is beneficial for businesses that wish to have a uniform data standard across their whole organization. You can then power all of your applications with the same data. You may even query your information in SQL to get the best possible user experience using this customer segmentation tool.
Segment’s newest addition, Personas, is a product built on the Segment platform. You can use Personas to make sense of your client data and create personalized experiences throughout the customer journey with Segment. Kissmetrics and Segment have comparable pricing.
Segment is the ideal customer segmentation solution for large enterprises since it allows organizations to gather critical consumer information and share it across their networks. When you use Segment, you may quickly and simply integrate all of your present applications with the same data. It is beneficial for big businesses that utilize a variety of platforms.
- It reduces development costs and time, making it simple to introduce new analytics and marketing technologies.
- Every invalid occurrence is recorded and compiled into in-app reports daily.
- Marketing teams may build bespoke scenarios for marketing campaigns by recording events.
- Standard reporting processes are often complicated to manage.
- It’s reported to be challenging to set up for new customers.
8. Adobe Analytics
Adobe Analytics is a powerful analytics solution that may help you gain insights into how your customers and leads interact with your company. It offers customized dashboards, real-time data availability, and advanced reports.
This tool lets you quickly set up email campaigns and remarketing lists across your entire site’s audience segments. You may use the data to determine which approach works best for your target audiences.
Adobe Analytics lets you combine and match data from any part of the customer journey, providing flexible reporting, predictive analytics, and more.
- Available as a part of Adobe Marketing Cloud
- It can be used for real-time data analysis
- Advanced reporting and dashboard features
- More expensive than some other options
- Complex user interface
There are billions of online conversations taking place right now. Brandwatch gathers the data from those conversations and transforms it into trustworthy knowledge for your company. Learn what people are saying about your business and what they’re saying about your competitors.
Brandwatch has several valuable features, such as smart AI, access to niche micro-influencers, crisis management, and competitor research. It tracks all of your online brand mentions and compares your performance to that of your competitors while identifying potential risks before anything goes wrong.
This cutting-edge solution works with various other tools, such as Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Buzzsumo, and Salesforce. Brandwatch enables businesses to understand their customers’ opinions about them (and anticipate any lousy feedback).
- Professional and effective brand monitoring tool for social networks
- Dynamic and well-supported social insight platform
- Flexible and scalable to adapt to various types of organization
- Limited user-interface features
- Weak analysis and monitoring of influencers
The Kissmetrics analytics dashboard is highly popular among SaaS and eCommerce firms.
It connects to most eCommerce sites and digital marketing platforms to combine data into a single dashboard, allowing you to build audiences and customer segments that support CRM systems and digital marketing campaigns. In theory, this segmenting will enable you to create a personalized customer experience for your audience.
KISSmetrics is all about tracking users through the customer lifecycle and providing you with analytical information regarding customer lifetime value, free trial conversions, and other behavioral indicators that help your company develop.
However, it does not provide any insights into cash flow, MRR contraction, or other vital financial indicators that would assist you in making data-driven decisions about your overall business strategy, including marketing strategy and target audiences.
- Can integrate third-party analytics into marketing metrics.
- Designed for small businesses.
- You may track how long it takes prospects to go from one step in their conversion funnel to the next.
- Look at the number of times a particular feature has been used.
- Take a look at your customer churn rate.
- Even though they focus on the SMB market, using their product will cost you $299 per month
- There is no self-service option. To schedule a demo, you must first submit an inquiry.
Optimove is a science-first Relationship Marketing Hub located in Israel. It’s utilized by hundreds of customer-centric organizations to achieve substantial growth by increasing customer interaction. Optimove combines the art of marketing with data science to produce actionable intelligence that automatically enables marketers to launch highly successful personalized CRM campaigns across multiple channels.
It’s meant to assist firms in increasing income by focusing their marketing strategies on their consumers more effectively. The firm uses data and the best marketing methods to help organizations offer tailored marketing campaigns to leads across numerous channels.
Optimove’s audience segmentation tool was created to help businesses increase customer interaction, retention, and lifetime value. Use this program to develop new audience groups and ensure you’re getting the most out of each one throughout a client buying journey.
- Integrates seamlessly with third-party apps
- Versatile segmentation and customization
- Calibration capabilities for better lead generation results
- Complicated data exporting
- New users may find reporting and terminologies confusing
- The user interface takes too long to refresh
Baremetrics provides a comprehensive customer segmentation dashboard that includes sophisticated capabilities for modification and visualization based on real-time data from multiple sources, including your eCommerce transaction data, your current customer base, and your previous customers.
With a few clicks, you’ll be able to get the most accurate picture of your customers possible, and you’ll be able to delve down to the individual level and figure out what makes them tick.
Unlike other customer segmentation solutions on the market, Baremetrics isn’t simply a one-trick pony; you’ll have immediate access to critical financial metrics in addition to these sophisticated client study tools.
Your customer data, transaction information, and marketing KPIs should be centralized into a single analytics solution so that you can have the most accurate view of your company.
- A valuable tool for comprehending how each user contributes to a company’s success.
- It’s simple to get started.
- The interface is very user-friendly and intuitive.
- It may take some time to become familiar with all the capabilities and filter choices.
- Custom segments are not possible.
- There is no setup assistance included in the first plan.
LeadLander is a cloud-based sales enablement solution for midsize and large enterprises that are also used for both inbound and outbound marketing. Users can see which online advertisements are attracting visitors to their website.
The solution can recognize these visitors regardless of their browser or device. The most recent visitors are shown on the dashboard, as well as a search feature divided by region. Users may use the top pages viewed by website users to assess the effectiveness of marketing automation campaigns.
To execute your customer segmentation plan, you’ll need access to consistent and trustworthy consumer information. Your website is the most significant source of that data – it’s free and constantly refreshed to give you the most up-to-date information.
Learn which of your website’s visitors are coming from search engines and display ads, as well as track any interested parties based on where they come from. It also allows you to control how you appear on social networks like Facebook.
- Easy to use with an intuitive user interface
- Critical diagnostic tool for business development and marketing
- Powerful data visualization capabilities
- Reporting could be more robust
- The company offers few integrations compared to its competitors
- There is no free trial offered
14. Piwik PRO
Piwik PRO’s user interface is simple to understand and navigate. This audience segmentation tool follows visitors to your website and generates reports about who they are and how they behave. Piwik PRO is a valuable audience segmentation software if you’re having trouble reporting with Google Analytics.
Another analytics tool to consider is Piwik PRO, which distinguishes itself for several reasons.
To begin, Piwik has a simple user interface that allows many people or departments to use the platform without requiring training. Additionally, Piwik PRO automatically gathers information on how your website visitors interact with each other and delivers reports about it. It may be particularly beneficial for businesses wanting to compare their audiences across various websites quickly.
- The learning curve is modest, and the interface is highly user-friendly.
- You may group the most active users to see which marketing channels attracted them to take it up a notch.
- Use segmentation to examine where visitors drop off your product and where errors arise.
- Piwik is devoid of a sophisticated reporting builder
- It has a clunky, unrefined appearance.
What is Audience Segmentation?
Customer segmentation is a type of categorization that divides customers into groups based on similar characteristics or tendencies. Customers’ age, nation, gender, climate, and hobbies are all factors that can be used to distinguish them.
Segmentation enables marketers to create better or more efficient campaigns. The segmentation method provides target-based possibilities for marketing and growth for their company.
Customer Segmentation allows you to reach out to your customers more personally and meaningfully, making it simpler to convert them into paying clients. You may deliver customized messages that appeal to the correct individuals based on automated rules and integration with CRM.
How to Select the Most Effective Audience Segmentation Tools?
Selecting the best and most influential audience segmentation tools for your business may take a few considerations. It should be well-suited and address the needs of your marketing and sales teams.
Some of the features on how to select audience segmentation tools are:
- Visibility: Customer segmentation software is a visually appealing approach to examining all the information. Staring at a spreadsheet may be tiring, but customer segmentation software has dynamic, shareable charts and graphs that are much simpler to view.
- Customizability: A functional program will allow you to assess a measure, such as customer delight, across various consumer subsets. If client satisfaction drops, you should be able to examine your software to identify which customers are the least satisfied.
- Organization: A strong program keeps a complete record of your consumer data, from subscription information to login dates. The appropriate software will provide you with a consistent perspective on who your clients are and why they like your company and marketing campaigns.
- Scalability: A decent program should be simple to use and ideal for even the smallest business, yet it should be able to expand with you. You should be able to identify distinct client categories and run more specialized reporting over time.
What Does an Audience Segmentation Tool Do?
Audience segmentation tools are designed to help organizations identify, organize, and utilize data to create successful customer segments. The objective is for a business to automate specific technical procedures so that employees don’t have to perform menial chores unnecessarily.
A customer segmentation tool might pull information from various sources and arrange it in a simple manner. It would save your workers time by allowing them to focus on activities essential for revenue development.
What are the Advantages of Audience Segmentation Tools?
There are many advantages businesses may enjoy when using audience segmentation tools. It can help your business achieve higher revenues and succeeds in its goals. Segmented emails account for 58% of a company’s revenue. Audience segmentation is a predictive tool that will assist firms in strengthening customer loyalty and increasing client lifetime value.
With audience segmentation tools, you can better apply efficient advertisements that deliver relevant messages to specific groups of people. It heightens brand awareness, and you become more memorable to your customers.
Businesses that give better customer service will have a more compelling customer retention rate since they continually satisfy their client’s demands and stay. Personalizing messages that make your existing clients feel appreciated with audience segmentation software allows you to keep them loyal.
As a result, audience segmentation is both essential and challenging. And it may make more sense to invest in an audience segmentation tool that will do the job for you and do it well.
Where can I Get Tools for Audience Segmentation?
You can find many customer segmentation tools on the market. Some of these software programs are more comprehensive than others. The most important thing is to select a tool suitable for your business size and needs.
Ideally, you can make a list of the features you need and head on to review sites such as Capterra and G2 to read about user experiences regarding the tools you have in mind.
You may also sign up for free trial versions to test the audience segmentation tools you are considering. Most of the tools on our list have a free trial and versions. Try them first and request a demo to observe their learning curve.
Are Tools for Audience Segmentation Useful?
Yes. Tools for audience segmentation can be handy for businesses of all sizes. They help you identify your target market and understand what motivates them. Additionally, these tools can automate technical tasks and save time by focusing on more important revenue-generating activities.
When selecting an audience segmentation tool, consider your business size and needs. Review user experiences and try out free trial versions to find the perfect tool for your organization.