Everyone loves winning something, which is why contests and giveaways are two of the most powerful methods for companies and organizations to interact with their audience. Text-to-Win campaigns may assist raise your brand’s profile while also providing incentives to keep adding to your mobile database.
Text messaging has one of the broadest reach rates among all marketing channels, as it’s quick and straightforward to join a contest or giveaway. Text-to-win campaigns are entertaining and build client interest and excitement while expanding your database for future contact and advertising.
This guide will cover all you need to know to create a Text-to-Win sweepstakes campaign. We’ll also include some examples of Text-to-Win campaigns from brands that have utilized this marketing strategy effectively.
What is Text to Win?
Text to Win (T2W) is a contest where people can join by sending a text message. The competition can be run through any phone, such as a landline or mobile phone, but most commonly, it is conducted through SMS or Short Message Service.
Interested individuals may join by sending a keyword to a phone number or SMS shortcode. Text to Win contests is easy to set up and allow contestants to enter with a single text. Customers may enter your SMS sweepstakes by texting a keyword to your phone number. They’ll get a confirmation text and be added to your subscriber list, as long as they send in the correct information. An SMS marketing platform will automatically take care of all of the contest procedures for you.
How does a Text to Win Sweepstake Work?
Businesses may run contests and giveaways through text marketing to increase customer engagement, brand awareness or drive database growth. To join Text-to-Win sweepstakes, entrants must send a text message with a specific keyword to a designated phone number or shortcode. Upon sending the text, the participant will receive a confirmation text and be automatically added to the contest’s subscriber list.
The platform conducting the contest will automatically send out reminder messages to all participants and notify the winner(s). Contestants may also be asked to provide their name and email address when joining to receive updates about the contest or giveaway.
Here is how text to win contests are implemented:
- The contest supplies you with a particular term, which may be found in the advertising/promotional text. (for example, the word is “BTS”)
- To send a text message to a specified short code, which serves as a recipient number and is also mentioned in the advertising material, example “883883”)
- You send an SMS message containing the keyword “BTS” to the shortcode “883883” to earn a sweepstake and join the contest.
- After the competition, you will be informed if you have won the contest prize through a text message or an announcement.
Why should You Host a Text to Win Sweepstakes?
If you own a business, it makes sense to occasionally host a text to win sweepstakes. SMS sweepstakes are a fun and entertaining method to engage prospects. They’re particularly great for producing leads using free giveaways, such as goods or vacations.
People frequently can’t resist the opportunity to win something, especially if you make it easy for them to enter by using text to win. But before starting your campaign, here are some insights about why you should host these types of events:
- It Provides Desired Results for Your Business – A study by the DMA (Direct Marketing Association) showed that text marketing produces response rates nearly eight times higher than email marketing. So if you’re looking for a way to quickly and easily engage customers, promote new products or services, or drive traffic to your website, text marketing is a great option.
- It’s an Easy Way to Collect Data – To join a text to win sweepstakes, participants typically must provide their name and email address. It gives you the ability to add leads to your database for future marketing efforts.
- Boost Brand Awareness – To enter most text to win contests, participants must first text a keyword to a designated phone number or shortcode. It provides an excellent opportunity for businesses to increase brand awareness as their contest and giveaway spread through word-of-mouth marketing.
- Builds Brand Loyalty – Apart from increasing brand awareness, text-to-win contests can also help build brand loyalty. Once customers have joined your subscriber list, you can send them periodic messages with special offers, discounts, and other incentives.
How to Set Up a Text to Win Campaign
Now that you understand the basics of how text to win contests works, it’s time to learn how to set one up for your business. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Choose a Contest Platform – There are many different contest platforms available, such as JookSMS, Trumpia, and EngageBay. You may also check the SMS marketing service providers that offer the same services. These platforms provide everything you need to create, manage, and automate your text to win the campaign.
- Select a Keyword – The keyword is the term participants will need to text to join your contest. It’s essential to pick a keyword that is easy to remember and spell.
- Create Your Contest – The contest platform will allow you to create a custom contest landing page where participants can enter their information. You can also design the page to match your branding.
- Promote Your Contest – Once your contest is created, you’ll need to promote it. You can do this through your website, social media channels, email marketing, and more.
- Monitor Results – As participants enter your contest, you’ll be able to track their progress on the contest platform. It will help you determine the effectiveness of your marketing efforts and make necessary adjustments.
- How to Choose a Winner – Most contest platforms have a random winner selector built-in. It will automatically choose a winner at the end of your contest.
What Platforms Should You Use to Create a Text to Win Campaign?
When deciding which platform to use for your text to win campaign, it’s essential to consider the features offered and the price. If you’re looking for an affordable SMS message marketing solution, look no further. SMS broadcast tools allow you to send large, personalized text messages to a list of people at any time and frequency that you choose. Make the texts yourself or utilize their utilities to automatically and quickly personalize them before sending.
If you’re considering adding a text-to-win strategy to your overall digital marketing plan, here are the top SMS marketing platforms to consider.
- JookSMS – Jooksms.com is a leader in SMS Marketing and provides mass SMS text alerts, reminders, promotions, notifications, and much more. In only a few minutes, you may establish a text-to-win campaign to leverage your marketing strategy. As one of the best SMS marketing platforms, Jook SMS also offers an automated opt-in process perfect for contests. Create custom sweepstakes and contests in minutes and start building your database of customers. You can also use JookSMS to send automatic SMS reminders for appointments or other events.
- Shortstack – Shortstack.com is an excellent, all-in-one platform for building landing pages, contests, and forms. With more than 1 million users, Shortstack has helped small businesses and agencies create more than 50 million pieces of content. The company offers a wide range of features, including the ability to embed videos and social media feeds and the option to require contestants to Like your Facebook page or Follow you on Twitter to enter.
- EngageBay – If you’re looking for an affordable text-to-win platform that also offers analytics, look no further than EngageBay. This all-in-one platform provides everything you need to create and run a successful text-to-win campaign, including the ability to embed videos. Social media feeds automatic opt-ins and the option to require contestants to Like your Facebook page or Follow you on Twitter to enter. One of the most remarkable features of EngageBay is the ability to run a contest across multiple channels simultaneously, including SMS, email, and social media.
- Trumpia – Trumpia is an SMS marketing and automation company founded in 2006. They assist clients in increasing income, enhancing customer engagement, and improving employee happiness by providing the most cutting-edge texting software available. Trumpia offers a wide variety of features, including the ability to send automated texts, contest management, and the ability to run a contest across multiple channels simultaneously.
- SlickText – this easy-to-use text marketing platform has a modern interface that will get you started within minutes. You can use SlickText to create a text-to-win campaign, send automated texts, and more. One of the most fantastic features of SlickText is the ability to develop triggered messages. Triggered messages are texts sent automatically in response to an event, like a customer purchase or subscription renewal.
How to Choose Text to Win Winner
When running a text to win campaign, one of the most important decisions you’ll have to make is who the winner will be. There are a few different ways to choose a winner, and each has its benefits and drawbacks.
- Random Winner – The most straightforward way to choose a winner is to use a random number generator to select a winner at random. This method is quick and easy, but it can be unfair to contestants who put more effort into entering the contest.
- First Prize Winner – The advantage of choosing a first prize winner is that it rewards contestants who put in more effort. However, this method can also be unfair to contestants who don’t win the first prize.
- Second Prize Winner – Another way to choose a winner is to select a second prize winner. This method is fair to all contestants, but it can be time-consuming and complicated.
The best way to choose a winner depends on your specific needs and preferences. The random-winner method is the best option if you want a quick and easy solution. If you’re going to reward contestants who put in more effort, the first prize winner method is the best option. The second prize winner method is the best option if you want a fair and straightforward solution.
Once you’ve made your decision, you must inform the winner. It would be best to let the winners know as soon as the campaign is over. You should also make sure you use the notification method specified in your formal rules. In our experience, sending a text message and an email are effective ways to follow up. If you don’t hear back from them, you can try leaving voice messages or delivering your message via a ringless call.
What are the Examples of Text to Win Campaigns?
The popularity of text to win campaigns cause significant brands to jump in and run their contests using this method. Here are some fantastic examples of text to win campaigns we’ve seen and heard.
- McDonald’s ran an “Incredible” text to win sweepstakes when the “Incredibles 2” animated movie launched. Customers who purchased soft drinks at a McDonald’s restaurant received a code that they could text for a prize—which ranged from logos to mobile games to, in the end, mobile phones. The campaign was a success, and it has become an annual event with new movies coming out.
- Gillette – The famous razor firm ran a text to win sweepstakes for American football fans. Their razor packages included SMS shortcodes that customers had to use to take a quiz. Winners got football-related mementos and a trip to Spain with tickets to a sports event, among other things.
- Sony – Customers were encouraged to text the codes they discovered on Sony CD packs to their shortcode for a chance to win various rewards as part of an effort in marketing by Sony. As a result, the campaign had a 10% redemptions rate and significantly boosted customer engagement.
- Nivea – Nivea launched a text-to-win campaign for “Aqua Cool,” their new men’s spray, and wanted to use it as an opportunity to market the product. By handing out free samples in over 100 theaters, folks became aware of this contest and began participating by sending “AQUACOOL” to a specific code for a chance to win a 7-day skiing trip.
- Seven Spring Mountain Resort – The ski resort teamed up with WUSA 9 TV station (a CBS affiliate) to start a text-based contest. Customers were given the term “SKI TRIP” and offered the opportunity to go on a skiing holiday if they texted that word to 877-847. Hundreds of participants entered the contest, which helped the resort generate awareness during crucial winter vacations. As a result, the resort acquired new customers and new leads and prospects.
Is Analytics Important for Text to Win Campaigns?
Running a text to win campaign is a great way to increase customer engagement, but you need to make sure that you’re tracking your campaign results. It will help you measure the success of your campaign and make any necessary adjustments.
Here are a few of the things you can do with marketing analytics in relation to your text to win campaigns:
1. Quantify your claims – looking at the numbers, you know that you are succeeding in the goals you set at the start of your text sweepstakes. Numbers are very persuasive, and you can tell that the contest brings more engagement and awareness to your customers.
2. Compare the results before and after the contest – this will help you understand whether or not the campaign boosted customer loyalty and engagement.
3. Check who your winners are – by doing so, you can better understand your target audience and what incentives work best to get their attention.
4. View subscriber growth – text-to-win campaigns typically result in more subscribers, so you can keep track of how your subscriber base changes over time.
Integrating analytics in reporting in your overall marketing strategy does not only power your business moves, especially in tracking statistics of your text to win campaigns. You will also see the spike in engagement, measure customer loyalty, and know what incentives work best for your target audience.
Are Text to Win Sweepstakes Effective Marketing Campaigns?
Yes! It’s inexpensive and straightforward to establish an SMS sweepstake, and when done correctly, the benefits are greater than those offered by many other SMS marketing strategies. From a single campaign, you may expect more subscribers, new consumers, increased revenue, a boost in followers on platforms like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Pinterest, as well as increased brand awareness.
Can You Use Short Codes for Text to Win Campaigns?
Yes! To participate in a text-to-win campaign, customers send a text message with the correct keyword to a short code. It makes it easy and convenient for customers to enter, and it also eliminates the need for them to remember a long URL. Using short codes is a great way to ensure that your campaign is easy to enter and evident.
Text-to-win campaigns are a great way to increase customer engagement, but you need to make sure that you’re tracking your campaign results. It will help you measure the success of your campaign and make any necessary adjustments.